This guide gives information needed to prepare content and add content to the appropriate section of the website. It will review the intended function and audience of each section of the website.
The website supports the following audience roles
- Visitor -- anyone viewing the site that is not currently logged in.
- Members -- any site visitor who has logged in and holds an active membership. The site provides members with access to member services pages and functions and access to members only content.
- Volunteers -- any member who holds an elected or appointed position, usually officers, committee chairs, and designated committee members. The site grants access to board and committee materials.
- Staff -- primarily our employees who hold some administrative rights allowing member management, event management, and website content creation.
Everybody starts at the home page. The home page is designed to give quick access to material written to attract new members, ILR news, program cancellations, mail-in registration materials, information useful to new and prospective members.
Most of the content on the front page of the website is generated from content appearing in the back of the website. Updating the front page most commonly requires creating a blog post in one of the back page blogs. The blog pages are in the menus.
- Masthead -- written content
- Introducing ILR -- written content and link to material from our prospective members trifold
- Featured Events -- generated events list holding coming events tagged Featured
- News -- Summary of posts new to the News Blog
- Cancellations -- Summary of posts new to the Cancellations Blog. Update this section by adding a new post to the Cancellations blog. Note, items are shown in post order with the most recent on top. Old items will age off.
- Registration Forms -- Summarizes the recent Registrations Forms blog articles that give dates and links to the quarter's mailing, registration forms, and trip forms. Update this item by posting the files for the quarter and writing the quarter's blog post.
- Become a Member -- A brief intro and a link to join us page which gives links to the membership form and a link to the online membership purchase form.
- Learn More -- Curated links to pages of interest to prospective members and current members.
- Upcoming Events -- Generated list of coming events. Creating registration event entries updates the list.
About Us Menu
- Members primarily
This menu lists and provides navigation to pages of interest to current members, speaker candidates, and scholarship candidates. This information is fairly static but the scholarship material is updated as needed for each grant period.
Join Us Menu
This menu lists and provides navigation to the pages used to become a member or renew a membership. Once the site is live for member services, this material will stay relatively static.
This menu list and provides navigation to pages related to serving as an ILR volunteer. Volunteers include our officers, standing committee chairs, standing committee members, and task volunteers. Post volunteer recognition in the News blog. Contact information for officers and committee chairs is in the Info menu.
The Events Menu gives access to the online registration system.
The News Menu gives access to the News Blog summary and posts.
The Info Menu lists and gives access to the several blogs primarily of interest to the members. These include the Cancellations Blog, Registration Blog, Website Tips, and Staff Tips.
This menu provides access to board meeting agendas, board meeting minutes, financial reports, Resolutions, and the Board Forum.
- Officers and Committee Chairs
The Board Forum is restricted to Officers and Committee chairs. The remaining blogs are accessible to all members.
Committee Meetings Menu
This menu gives access to committee related pages for those committees that wish to use this capability. An Upcoming Events gadget shows scheduled committee meeting events. A table of links takes the member to the committee page, committee blog, and optional committee discussion forum. The intent is to do business in the blog and forums rather than by passing around Email chains and MS Office files.